Publishing Workflow/Pipeline

Establishing a Review Process is something which is hit on in the DeveloperHub blog. Indeed – we’d like to choose a specific method of reviewing, and that being in the DeveloperHub platform itself. Currently, the internal comments for collaboration are the mechanism for which this can be accomplished – collaborating between those with a reviewer/writer vs publisher role.

To expand upon this workflow, it would be nice to have a “pipeline”, essentially, where an article can be in a “Ready for Review” state prior to being moved to “Published”, for example – with the option for those as publishers to skip this and publish directly, as normal.

Currently, the only article states are “Draft” and “Published”, essentially – where an article can be “Published” but also in “Draft” if any modifications are made after the fact.

A mechanism is needed to signal to publishers and/or those responsible for reviewing articles otherwise that these articles are ready to go, and not still being worked on (aside from a comment tagging these individuals and stating as such).

1 Like

Hey Matthew,

This would be an interesting addition, and one that also plays well with our upcoming dashboard.

Who would be the ones to approve - which roles do they have? Would one approval do, or more are needed depending on context?

1 Like

Zaid –

Based on the current roles available, “Publisher” would likely be the most appropriate to act as an approver, as it is expected that they themselves are able to already publish their own content, vs “Writer” which only allows publishing of draft content (which is what I would expect of non-publishers). Our Knowledge Centered Service/Support (KCS) workflow aligns with this currently in terms of promoting a user to a KCS “Publisher” level at which point they’ve graduated the necessary requirements for publishing quality content, and are able to review others’ content.

Typically, only one approval from a single publisher should be required. Adding additional would be nice, but, it hasn’t been part of our process thus far.

Please let me know if I could provide any additional details to flesh this out!

1 Like

This makes sense. I’ll keep you updated Matthew!

1 Like

Hey @zed, just wanted to loop back on this. In the interim, one workaround we’ve come up with is:

1. Create a Google Group.
  2. Assign to a user in DeveloperHub.
  3. Tag the user in a comment.
  4. Feed that to Slack in a shared #docs channel via Email.
  5. Gather feedback.
  6. Publish.

Ideally, we’d be able to capture all of this interaction within the platform itself, though.

I’m hoping to see some ability to assign individuals to review an article, similar to a pull request in GitHub almost, or some ability to default to who’s assigned. The ability to notify via Slack when a review is requested would also be desirable.